on education

thoughts from a graduate student at the university of mary washington

Required Prompt: Gifted Education

April15

I guess that at the beginning, I didn’t have much of a view of gifted education. It was some mystical thing that happened when I was a kid where a couple kids I knew would disappear for a while and then show up again in our classroom. I had never been exposed to gifted education as a teacher or a student. I don’t know if my view has changed so much as it has been formed.

I think it’s a really invaluable part of our school system. These are the kids we’re counting on to really go the extra mile when they grow up and invent amazing things, write brilliant movie scripts or win the Pulitzer. If we don’t take the time and energy to play to their strengths and give them what they need academically, then they’re set up to fail and/or be miserable.

I know that it takes a lot of care and patience to properly identify these kids and then takes even more painstaking care to make sure that they’re getting adequate and appropriate services to meet their needs. I didn’t realize that there were so many service delivery options available; I always assumed you either skipped a grade or you had a pull-out program. It’s exciting to know that that’s just the tip of the iceberg of what we can do for these students. If only money were no object.

posted under EDCI 540
One Comment to

“Required Prompt: Gifted Education”

1. Avatar April 20th, 2014 at 5:21 pm Laurie Abeel Says:

“I don’t know if my view has changed so much as it has been formed.”
    –That’s fine…I am just glad you now have a more positive view!