on education

thoughts from a graduate student at the university of mary washington

Programming Options Reflection (for April 8)

April11

Getting into a jigsaw to learn about these was helpful and interesting, but once again — I think I must be a little nutty (or just Type A??) because I am very hesitant to rely on somebody else to give me key information. I’m one of those seek it out yourself kind of people. Nevertheless, I learned some interesting things.

I specifically researched residential high schools, and I found some really fascinating things. Perhaps it isn’t all it’s cracked up to be? I saw one study that was done using parents and students, and students were pretty stressed out about their residential high school environment and academics, and by the last survey neither parents nor students expressed confidence that being at a residential high school would raise their chances of getting into a good college. Specifically, the sentiment was raised that had this particular student stayed in her high school, she’d have been number 1 in her class. Now she’s one in a sea of many just like her, and she doesn’t stand out at all.

The one option that piqued my interest was summer/Saturday programming. I don’t know how feasible this is because it seemed to be so expensive, but some of these activities just sounded so neat and challenging. If I had the money, this is the kind of thing I’d send my kids to in the summer. The one down-side I see though, especially for someone like my son, is that he is already so far above the standard curriculum…and if he got to participate in something like this that really enriched his learning, he would go back to school so bored and unmotivated.

posted under EDCI 540
One Comment to

“Programming Options Reflection (for April 8)”

1. Avatar April 20th, 2014 at 5:14 pm Laurie Abeel Says:

“Specifically, the sentiment was raised that had this particular student stayed in her high school, she’d have been number 1 in her class. Now she’s one in a sea of many just like her, and she doesn’t stand out at all.”
    — True – but that’s real life too..

“If I had the money, this is the kind of thing I’d send my kids to in the summer.”
    — I am a bit biased towards this one since I worked for one… but I did send my son to the Saturday one in kindergarten.. I could not afford to send my kids to the summer ones.. My son was interested.. my daughter – not so much! 🙂