on education

thoughts from a graduate student at the university of mary washington

Creative/Critical Thinking Reflection (for April 1)

April1

The discussion post we did on creativity was interesting to read. Some of us have some divergent views on the subject, and if there is disagreement in such a small class, I can understand that it is difficult to define among the larger set of educators. I hereby swear that I will never say the words “Be creative” in my classroom without an explanation!

The two things that stood out the most to me were SCAMPER and the Morphological Matrix. Doing that in class was really fantastic and fun. And if it’s fun for a group of graduate students, I can’t imagine how fun it would be to do with a group of elementary school kids. I’ve heard frequently that teachers should let kids brainstorm freely because it gets their creative juices flowing, but I think that participating in this activity is much more likely to get kids engaged and help them think of ideas.

What fun!

posted under EDCI 540
One Comment to

“Creative/Critical Thinking Reflection (for April 1)”

1. Avatar April 20th, 2014 at 5:12 pm Laurie Abeel Says:

” I hereby swear that I will never say the words “Be creative” in my classroom without an explanation!”
    — YAY!!!!– As I give myself a big pat on the back! 🙂

Glad you liked the CPS strategies.. They ARE fun! And – students will learn WHILE having fun!