on education

thoughts from a graduate student at the university of mary washington

mini projects, take one. week nine.

March13

I decided to choose the Comic Life project right out of the gate. I wasn’t familiar with using this as a tool and I thought it would make me a little uncomfortable, so I decided to go for it.

I was wrong. I wasn’t uncomfortable at all.

I didn’t read any tutorials, I just started clicking around and I figured it out. I decided that since we weren’t required to align it with an SOL or anything that I’d do something I’m pretty sure nobody learns about in K-12 education. (By the way, remember how I told you my husband likes to stand behind me and watch me explore these technology tools? He likes this one a lot. Like, a lot a lot. I do too. No more coding!)

I did my comic on The Gunpowder Plot of 1605. And if you don’t know what I’m talking about? You will soon. Hopefully you’ll also memorize at least the first stanza of the catchy little poem and walk around saying it for the rest of your days. You’re welcome.

Page_1

Page_2

Page_3

Page_4

If you have trouble viewing the comic here, you can also find it on my web portfolio here. 

I think this is a pretty fantastic tool, and honestly, the possibilities are endless for using this in a classroom. Yeah, yeah, I know. Enumerate them. Weeeeelllllll… This seems to me to be a way to let kids really grasp their creativity to do a project. No more book reports! Ever! Create a comic for me! I also think they could almost be used like class meetings to bring the classroom together, too. This would be really fun to use, and I bet the kids would like it. Definitely a departure from the same-ol, same-ol.

I also chose to do the Voki assignment. I knew that creating the actual Voki would not be difficult, but I really need to get my brain working on lesson ideas, so I chose this to enable me to do that. I didn’t align it with any specific SOL, I simply designed my activity for an elementary classroom science/language arts lesson in animal biomes/habitats. You can view my end product here.

I tried to play (hopefully successfully?) to multiple levels of technology use. I laid out explicit links for the kids who might not fully understand how to navigate websites, and I also gave a single link that they would be able to click around on and find all of the information that they need for the activity.

I like the idea of talking avatars on websites that we use in the classroom. I’m sure it’s the case here as well, but in Texas we had multiple language learners in the classroom, and they all understood English better in different ways — some liked to read it, some needed to hear it, etc. I like having both options available for them, and it’s really not hard to do at all. It takes no time to put one together, especially if you add your own voice. I also had the avatar say mostly the same thing as what I had written down, but not all of it is the same. This way, they get some information via reading and some via listening.

I’m looking forward to the next two projects next week!

posted under INDT 501
2 Comments to

“mini projects, take one. week nine.”

1. Avatar March 14th, 2013 at 11:19 am ctrumbetic Says:

Your comic book looks great!!! I used Voki as well. I found your connection between English Language Learners and different forms on understanding english very meaningful. I did not look at it that way, but it makes a lot of sense to utilize the Voki in that way. They could stop and rewind the Voki too so if they didn’t hear something they could hear it again or if they wanted to pause to look up the definition of a word. My its my computer, but I couldn’t find the Voki on your Google site. I found the page, but a Voki never appeared.

2. Avatar March 17th, 2013 at 10:59 pm Kayla Patterson Says:

everything you do is so great. where do you get these ideas. and these pictures. we used the same template. i look at your stuff and decide mine isn’t good anymore hahaha. angela you’re funny, witty, and super talented. I learned about this gun plot. thanks for sharing this. man you’re talented. i cannot get over it. AND I did the Voki too. So other then your stuff being TEN times better than mine. we’re the same person.