on education

thoughts from a graduate student at the university of mary washington

shared sticky notes. week seven.

February28

This week, we’ve been tasked with setting up a collaborative wall on padlet/Wallwisher.

I decided to set up a “Before I Die…” wall. I’m always interested to know what the hopes and goals of people are, especially my friends. So, I set up the wall and asked my friends to participate in it. Some put their names, and some decided to be anonymous. So far, I’m definitely pleasantly surprised at the responses.

You can find my wall here, and I’d love it if you’d add to it! You can remain anonymous, if you like.

I think that this would be useful in my classroom to provide feedback from students. After a lesson or a unit, they can anonymously post a sticky and tell me if they liked the lesson, if they’d change anything, or if they really didn’t understand and need more clarification or a different activity. I also think that it would work well for them to organize their ideas for writing center. They can post ideas for stories or characters onto their own personal boards, and then sign on to the computer during centers and organize their sticky notes to suit their story. Then, they can write it out with an outline of sorts, without making the old-school outline that you and I are used to.

Not too bad — it’s a little like the sticky notes function on my Mac computers. It’s an app, and I can open up sticky ┬ánotes and change note colors, fonts, font sizes, and font colors. I can even choose to make the sticky notes transparent-like or opaque. Kind of neat. That’s what this padlet activity reminded me of, and it’s a function that I’ve always enjoyed about my computers so it’s nice that other people can use something like it, too. I use it personally all of the time; I guess it never occurred to me that I can use it in a school setting. But now I know, huh?

posted under INDT 501
4 Comments to

“shared sticky notes. week seven.”

1. Avatar February 28th, 2013 at 12:12 pm ctrumbetic Says:

I like how you brought up that you could use this tool as a means of feedback. That’s great. I did not even think about that. I wish I had a Mac so I knew what you were talking about. I found the site to be a little slow and difficult to get going. For instance, it would take multiple clicks for a “note” to pop up. I commented on your wall. I was surprised to see how many people had already commented. Excellent!

2. Avatar March 1st, 2013 at 1:24 pm jdosch Says:

I also like the idea of using the sticky notes as a tool for student feedback. Is this something you would have students do from home or would you set aside time at the end of class for students to log-in and post to? I also like that you would encourage students to use this as an essay tool rather than use a traditional outline. I think it would be quite beneficial for those students who like to move around their ideas.

It’s great that you use the note feature on your Mac. I tend to write out about 4-5 physical post-it notes and post them to the top of my Mac! Maybe I should look into the included feature on my computer.

3. Avatar March 2nd, 2013 at 2:31 am jwomack Says:

Student feedback is very important. What a great way to allow them to give you input. In reading your topic I also thought that this tool could be used as a blog or journal for the class or students. Each student could create a topic and other students could post on the students blogs. If this was part of a flipped curriculum students could post questions they have from the lesson they learned and the teacher could have an answer wall. What a fun way to interact with students.

4. Avatar March 3rd, 2013 at 1:22 pm thartma2 Says:

Angela

Great idea you post are so good thanks for asking our input in your board

great post

Tiffany