on education

thoughts from a graduate student at the university of mary washington

copyrights. week three.

February3

So, this week’s task was probably made just for me. I’m pretty sure.

Grabbing the first Google image that fits what I need with no regard to who owns it or whether or not I can use it?

Guilty.

At least I say my source though, right? internet-25516_640

(Hi! I’m copyright friendly!)

This week’s practice was good for me, albeit frustrating. Old dogs and new tricks, and all that. Our assignment was to find a photo online that was safe for us to use, meaning it has no legal or ethical issues surrounding it, like copyright issues. I know that I’m going to ask my students to do this time and time again, and I honestly probably wouldn’t have thought very much about whether or not it had any copyright issues because it’s being used by a bunch of 2nd graders. I guess that makes me a big, fat fibber!

I’m a huge fan of using images I find online from various sources to analyze information or simply gain more information about a subject. The use of images in our instruction is crucial, especially when we’re teaching kids who are immersed in media. “Students must learn how to create meaning and communicate with visual tools. They can create digital media projects using video clips, video podcasting, and screencasting. Teachers can use images and visual presentations in the curriculum and encourage students to create presentations that develop skills of inquiry, creativity, and higher-order thinking” (Solomon & Schrum, 2010, p. 102).

So, basically… pictures are everywhere. In everything. All the time. I do need to model the best practices for my students, which means getting used to searching for images using the resources we’ve been given this week to ensure the images I do choose are free to use and share with no issues. I certainly don’t want to get into hot water for copyright infringement, and I certainly don’t want to put my students or my school in that position, either. There are still millions of photos to be found online that have licenses allowing you to share them freely. Some have stipulations, and some do not.

I chose to find a picture of a famous building in Washington, D.C (the Smithsonian Castle). I also chose not to use Google image search since that’s the one I’m used to using. Instead, I used the Flickr Creative Commons Search. I searched by filtering for “attribution,” meaning I can use the image as long as I give credit to the original owner.

I couldn’t get it off of the Flickr site and onto my blog directly, but I used the information that Dr. Coffman gave us this week on capturing screen shots to get it for you here:

Screen Shot 2013-02-03 at 10.23.02 AM

This photo belongs to Mike Nelson on Flickr.

___________________________

references: 

Solomon, G., & Schrum, L. (2010). web 2.0 how-to for educators. (1st ed.). Washington, D.C.: International Society for Technology in Education.

posted under INDT 501
2 Comments to

“copyrights. week three.”

1. Avatar February 3rd, 2013 at 10:38 pm bwebber Says:

I agree that this week’s readings and activities were a great reminder of how easy it is to just grab and go off the internet, and how anyone can get into trouble doing so. Definitely something important to share with students. Great post! And I love that picture of the Smithsonian Castle! ~Barbara

2. Avatar February 4th, 2013 at 11:32 am acrerie Says:

Great post! And good for you for trying something different. Flickr is a great source. And I wholeheartedly agree that our students are immersed in media, so it’s important for us to teach them (and show by example) how to properly and respectfully use the internet. I also think it’s an important practice of patience. Everything is so fast and instant now that everyone (especially kids) are growing more and more impatient. Taking the time to cite sources properly is a pain, and it does take time, and that’s exactly why we should make our students do it… Because, you know what, sometimes you gotta do stuff you don’t want to do! Life lesson.